Monday, April 09, 2007

Aqueduct Observations

I noted a few interesting things while at the track on Saturday:

- The winner's needs to be relocated. It was bad enough when they have the circle down in the paddock, but now they moved it back up to its normal spot at track level in front of the paddock. The problem is all the crowd sees is the back of some heads and a big horse's ass (Don't go there... I mean the rear end of the horse. ) It is impossible for the fans to be engaged in the winner's circle festivities when they can't see anything. The video screen coverage helps, but you might as well be watching at home.

- In the post parade before the Pleasant Colony Stakes, jockey Channing Hill, on Malibu Moonshine, jerked his head to the left and was taken out of his rhythm before steadying himself and continuing along. I realized that he was passing the ESPN stage and must have said to himself, "Holy crap, that's JERRY BAILEY!". I know I had the same reaction when I saw him.

- Why is it that Mets games are continuously interrupted by aircraft flying overhead at Shea Stadium, but you barely hear any jet noise at Aqueduct with JFK airport next door? Kennedy has more volume and much larger planes, but the flight patterns must divert them out to the water. Just wondering.

- On my way out, I stopped to look at the wall of Wood Memorial winner's circle pictures. I scanned the impressive collection and took particular interest in last year's picture because I braved the bad weather to watch that race from the rail. I was thrilled to see that I was in the periphery of the picture of Bob and John being led to the circle. You can't miss me with my bright yellow rain coat. The picture was published in The Bloodhorse so I knew it was out there, but I didn't know that it was preserved in perpetuity on the wall at Aqueduct. My kids will get a kick out of seeing Daddy on the wall (and maybe my grandkids if the VLTs get installed).

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online