Monday, March 10, 2008

The Keeper of the Silks



NYRA is reporting the passing of Louis Olah, the "Keeper of the Silks" of the NYRA tracks for more than 40 years. I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Olah last year and I am grateful for the experience. In a brief 10 minute encounter, he shared with me many stories of his riding career, his position on the franchise uncertainty at the time, and the myriad of jockeys that he clothed.

Lou was one of the old guard at NYRA. One of the good guys. He cared about the sport and about the people. You don't work at 79 unless you really love what you are doing. He will be missed.

As I look at the photo us above, I can't help but think that he intentionally hung on long enough to make sure that NYRA would retain the franchise. That's the kind of guy he was. RIP Louis Olah.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online