Friday, November 12, 2010

In the News

- Sayonara Empire Maker. He has been a productive sire and stood for $50,000 this year. In four crops, he has produced three millionaires and one stallion. The JBBA must have a paid a a lot of yen for him. I wish him a stud career more like Sunday Silence than Ferdinand.

- Quality Road retired to Lane's End and will stand for $35,000. I'm not sure how I feel about that fee. It seems a bit high to me. Looking down the Lane's End roster makes excited for the English Channel juvies to run next year. His auction prices are surprisingly low, but man, that horse could run on grass.

- It's hard to feel bad for Todd Pletcher and his monster operation, but it just seems wrong that he is losing Pluck. Team Valor is moving all of their horses to Graham Motion. I understand the idea of consolidation and who can argue with the talent of Mr. Motion, but Pletcher won a Breeders' Cup race with her and loses her in the same week.

- Super Saver will stand at WinStar for $20,000. Even for a Kentucky Derby winner, that seems high to me. Looking down the WinStar roster, I would prefer Colonel John at $15,000. He didn't win the big one, but he was much more dynamic.

- Forget Pletcher, it's Tony Dutrow that's getting screwed. Larry Porter is sending Havre de Grace and others to Larry Jones, who is returning from a brief retirement. Dutrow trained her to earnings of more than $840,000 this year and a remarkable rivalry with Blind Luck. I totaly respect Larry Jones, but come on Mr. Porter.

- Vale of York was retired. He accomplished nothing after his Breeders' Cup win. He will stand for 5,000 Euros at Darley in Ireland. That's like 10 million dollars, or something like that. Lookin at Lucky is pacing his stall thinking about that little bum and how he stole his birthright from him. When I think about Vale of York at stud, I take back everything I said about Quality Road. Luckily, the surface at Santa Anita is being replaced and we will likely not see a winner like this again.

- Does anyone know the official criteria for Horse of the Year? I want to give an opinion, but I can't find the basis for voting. I would greatly appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

5,000 Euros is less than $7,000!

Ernie said...

I LOVE Larry Jones - but TD losing Havre de Grace is Guinness Book screwage

Hope you made a bundle at the Cup

Anonymous said...

Rick Porter not Larry

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online