Saturday, November 25, 2006

Superman and Me

I had an entertaining weekend. My father and I, who live in New York, went down to Baltimore where my brother lives for the Fall Festival of Racing at Laurel Park. But first, we stopped Aqueduct to see Malibu Mint win the G2 Top Flight Handicap. She is a daughter of Malibu Moon - the official favorite sire of the Bugboys. She seemed to have lost to Rahy's Appeal, but Eibar Coa lodged an objection that was upheld because Alan Garcia, who was riding the apparent winner inadvertently whipped Malibu Mint down the stretch run. Luckily, we were made aware of the objection before we ripped up our tickets so we both cashed in and headed South.

Saturday at Laurel was fun but I didn't cash a ticket all day and Anna Napravnik was shut out. We got to see Thor's Echo win the G1 DeFrancis Dash and make his case for the Sprinter Eclipse award. And then while watching the festivities in the winner's circle, I pulled off my sweater and revealed that I was wearing the simulated silks of Suarez racing. This act defied the fact that I was hours away from my 35th birthday and am an upstanding member of society. But you know, what happens in a suburb of Baltimore stays in a suburb of Baltimore. Unless of course you post it on the internet.

So, upon much encouragement from my family that wanted to see me look like a nut, I positioned myself in a spot that I knew Corey Nakatani had to pass through. When he did, he was really approachable and kind. He signed autographs for everyone and took this picture with me.



I can't explain this behavior. I can only enjoy the lunacy of it and appreciate how cool this sport is. Michael Matz was mingling among us regular people all day. In what other sport can you chat with the athletes and coaches before and after the game?

I will post more, less embarrassing, pictures on Sunday when I get home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled across this. Great Photo! Thanks for the support. That was a magical ride.

Pablo Suarez

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online